NWS Bot was developed with privacy in mind. The bot does not log information or data that is not essential for the bot's operation, such as message content or user data, unless manually submitted by the user. Images downloaded are not stored and are deleted immediately after sending. Data is not cached in HTTP requests and unique URLs are used for every request.
This statement does not supersede Discord's Terms of Service.
When interacting with the bot using any of its commands, NWS Bot automatically stores certain information essential for bot operation, which is limited to:
- Server/guild IDs
- Server-specific bot settings and configurations (such as prefix)
The bot may also store the following when using certain features:
- Server's last listened-to station (when using stream feature)
- Voice channel ID (when actively using stream feature; deleted when bot is disconnected from the voice channel)
- Message channel IDs (when using IEMBot feature)
Server IDs and server-specific configurations are stored for the bot's basic operations. The data above is stored for as long as the bot is in the server. It is automatically and immediately deleted when the bot is removed from the server that the data is tied to.
When submitting suggestions using the `suggest` command, users may opt to submit their suggestion along with their Discord username and tag for follow-up. This is not required and users may choose to submit their suggestions anonymously.
When adding stations/streams using the stream feature, data entered such as the station ID, station location, and station URLs entered are stored. These added stations/streams can be used by any server with NWS Bot added.
The bot may also store message data in certain cases, which is limited to when the bot receives a response from the user after prompting for a response (indicated with the blue embed color).
The bot is hosted on a private VPS located in St. Louis, Missouri, in the United States. All data and bot operations are stored/conducted on this VPS. The bot runs on its own, separate Docker container. All accounts used to access the server are secured with hardware-based two-factor authentication. Stored data is kept on a password-protected MySQL database. The database is not accessible to the public internet.
These services are used by NWS Bot for metadata and information, but are not utilized directly by users:
- National Weather Service website
- IEMBot (when using IEMBot feature)
- Weather Underground (when using radar feature) - Genius (when using lyrics feature)
- iHeartRadio (when using stream feature with iHeartMedia stations)
- fmstream (when adding stations)
- OpenStreetMap (when using forecast/weather feature)
- Mapbox (when using forecast/weather feature)
By using the following features, you agree to the privacy policies of the following services:
- Forecast/weather feature: National Weather Service (used for location-based forecast), OpenStreetMap (used for location information), Mapbox (used for location autocomplete in slash commands)
NWS Bot should not be relied upon for (making critical decisions regarding) protecting life and/or property. You should always have a dedicated, reliable source such as a NOAA Weather Radio, TV, radio, or other media source. NWS Bot does not have a guaranteed uptime and may go down at any time for any reason, including, but not limited to, network or service issues. Data relayed through the bot may be inaccurate or delayed.
By adding NWS Bot to your server or using the bot in any way, you consent to the terms and policies outlined in this document. Additionally, you agree to inform members of the contents of this document. If you do not agree with these policies, you may remove NWS Bot from your server.
By submitting certain information such as station/stream information (using the stream feature) or feedback/suggestions, you forego any rights to the content, title, or intent of the provided information.